Tips for selling your home to achieve the highest dollar for your property!
4 Things you do before you sell
1. Get estimates from a reliable repairperson on items that need to be replaced soon, a roof or worn carpeting, for example. This way, buyers will have a better sense of how much these needed repairs will affect their costs.
2. Get a pre-sale home inspection so you'll be able to make repairs before buyers become concerned.
3. Gather together warranties and guarantees on the furnace, appliances, and other items that will remain with the house.
4. Fill out a disclosure form. Take the time to be sure that you don't forget problems, however minor, that might create liability for you after the sale.
10 Ways to make your home more saleable
1. Get rid of clutter. Throw out or file stacks of newspapers and magazines. Pack away most of your small decorative items. Store out-of-season clothing to make closets seem roomier. Clean out the garage.
2. Wash your windows and screens to let more light into the interior.
3. Keep everything extra clean. Wash fingerprints from light switch plates. Mop and wax floors. Clean the stove and refrigerator. A clean house makes a better first impression and convinces buyers that the home has been well cared for.
4. Get rid of smells. Clean carpeting and drapes to eliminate cooking odors, smoke, and pet smells. Open the windows.
5. Put higher wattage bulbs in light sockets to make rooms seem brighter, especially basements and other dark rooms. Replace any burnt-out bulbs.
6. Make minor repairs that can create a bad impression. Small problems such as sticky doors, torn screens, cracked caulking, or a dripping faucet may seem trivial, but they'll give buyers the impression that the house isn't well maintained.
7. Tidy your yard. Cut the grass, rake the leaves, trim the bushes, and edge the walks. Put a pot or two of bright flowers near the entryway.
8. Patch holes in your driveway and reapply sealant, if applicable.
9. Clean your gutters.
10. Polish your front doorknob and door numbers.
5 Ways to speed up your sale
1. Price it right.
2. Get your house "market ready" for at least two weeks before you begin showing it.
3. Be flexible about showings. It's often disruptive to have a house ready to show on the spur of the moment, but the more often someone can see your home, the sooner you'll find a buyer.
4. Be ready for the offers. Decide in advance what price and terms you'll find acceptable.
5. Don't refuse to adjust the price. If your home has been on the market for more than 30 days without an offer, be prepared to lower your asking price.
Wonder what your home is worth?
Contact Jesse or Doug for a free, no obligation property evaluation TODAY!